https://anewleafnaturopathic.com/wp-content/uploads/logo.png 0 0 admin https://anewleafnaturopathic.com/wp-content/uploads/logo.png admin2018-10-24 19:13:352018-10-24 19:13:35Ways To Get A More Restful Sleep!
Healthy sleep habits can make a big difference in the quality of your life. Follow these sleep practices on a consistent basis to achieve a more restful sleep!
- Stick to a sleep schedule of the same bedtime and wake up time, even on the weekends. This will help regulate your body’s natural alarm clock, and has also been shown to help you fall asleep (and stay asleep) throughout the night.
- Create a relaxing bedtime ritual. A relaxing pre-bedtime routine will help allow your body to wind down and welcome in the time for rest. This routine can include staying away from bright lighting and opting for a rock salt lamp or dim lamp instead, turning on a diffuser with lavender-scented essential oil, a warm bath, reading a good book in bed, or a cup of cozy chamomile tea.
- If you have trouble falling asleep, avoid naps! Power napping may help you get through the day, but can deter you from falling asleep at nighttime and throw off your natural sleep schedule/internal clock.
- Exercise daily for a more restful sleep. Exercising will help you expend any extra energy and allows you to release any built-up negative thoughts in a positive outlet, leaving you in a more relaxed state. If cardio and weight-lifting aren’t your style, try yoga classes. A deep-stretch or flow class would be perfect to get your body relaxed before bed.
- Check the temperature and noise in your room. Studies show sleeping in a cool room provides for a better night’s rest. Temperatures between 60 – 67 degrees are optimum for the best sleeping conditions. Your bedroom should also be free from any noise that can disturb your sleep (this includes your partner’s snoring.) Consider ear plugs, humidifiers, fans, or “white noise” machines.
- Keep it dark! Block out light with black out curtains and an eye mask.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and use a comfortable pillow. Make sure your mattress is supportive; mattress life expectancy is about 9 – 10 years. It’s important to invest in a good mattress, since you’ll be using it nightly!